Looking for a hotel in Liberec, near Prague, I came across the Grandhotel Zlaty Lev. All its rooms are pretty ordinary and corporate-looking, apart from this crazy one: I love it because of the contrast of some quite restrained period detail (parquet floor and oversize doors, for example) with furniture that’s really quite outrageously over the top. The colour scheme’s cool, too. There’s something a bit creepy about it all, though – it reminds me of that room at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey, when everything goes properly nutso. Or it might be that bed, which looks as if it might induce a nightmare straight out of a dark Czechoslovakian fairytale. This isn’t the kind of look I’d want to reproduce at home, but for a couple of nights it would be ace to sleep here. Bring on the nightmares.
- @SoVeryBritish My eyes!!!!! 22 hours ago
- Chuckling at the idea of an "iconic towel" as described to me in a press release that just arrived in my in-box 1 week ago
- Mmmm lovely apartment in Venice. A bit Carlo Scarpa (with colour) a bit po-mo, a bit of everything really… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago
- RT @FryRsquared: A life in banknotes (from here: tinyurl.com/ycf2zgez/) https://t.co/PRP8kkYNvc 1 week ago
- Been thinking a lot about the dreamy view of the Ouse from this house in Lewes, by @SandyRendelArch, on sale throug… twitter.com/i/web/status/8… 1 week ago