I saw a green, floral patterned sofa in a Florida thrift store about two years ago, and I’ve been unable to put in out of my mind. So, when I buy a new sofa, it’s not going to be plain, or neutral, it’s going to be upholstered in a gorgeous floral patterned fabric. And don’t say I’ll get bored of it, or it’ll go out of style, because there are plenty of much more important/dull decisions that need to be made based on what I’ll be doing in ten years, so I might as well have fun when it’s a only a sofa. I’ve long been a lover of Scandinavian fabrics, especially the botanical ones on a dark ground, so the colour jumps out at you – the absolute cream of the crop is Swedish designer Gocken Jobs’ bright and beautiful flower prints, actually rather more like botanical drawings than the usual stylised Scandinavian style, and slightly weird in its choice of flora (rhubarb anyone?). I’ve yet to find anything that comes close in my price bracket, but a lengthy search did throw up some other beauties – not all of them upholstery fabrics, but good for curtains, cushions etc – that are pretty reasonable. My absolute top tip, if you’re a sucker for higher-end Nordic brands like Marimekko but have no cash, is to get yourself to Ikea; its fabric ranges have all the graphic punch and occasional forays into surrealism, but at much nicer prices (it’s also often the quietest place in the whole shop, useful if you’re suffering from Ikea Stress Syndrome). Here are my finds; and if anyone can find me a Gocken Jobs-alike for under £70 a metre, let me know….
- My interview with Osborne & Little’s Peter Osborne, celebrating 50 years in business twitter.com/teleproperty/s… 2 days ago
- Please make it good @Egretwest @Studio_CTA! Also, not everyone wants to keep the bloody giant cat. twitter.com/ArchitectsJrna… 2 days ago
- Impressed that I found a document of GOOD LOFTS, created for the next time I was commissioned to write about lofts.… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 3 days ago
- RT @MrTimDunn: We have opened a new town at @Bekonscot Model Village - that i designed 12 yrs ago - and staff have been building ever since… 1 week ago
- Ooof the replies to this are quite something twitter.com/david_cameron/… 1 week ago